Friday 9 August 2013

The Mcilroy Syndrome!

After last months Open Championship, Rory described his golf as 'brain dead' and also said it was like he was 'walking around unconscious'...well I seem to have caught whatever he had! I cannot pin point why or how to stop it, but the last 2 weeks more than most have been completely numb, brain dead and unconscious golf!

In Finland I actually was playing fine, nothing amazing but pretty solid, yet my mind was nothing short of horrific. It completely cost me a job for the weekend, and the most frustrating part is that my mental resilience has always been the strongest part of my game...anyone that knows me knows that I will regularly grind a decent round out, using my good short game and a hell of a lot of patience. However, in Finland my ability to grind it out was about as poor as it ever has been, and that made my temper even worse because I know that just isn't me. This eventually affected my game and it soon spirals into a bad score.

Onto Norway and much of the same in a way, apart from my game was left in Helsinki I think. Golf is pretty hard at the best of times, but trying to play at a good level when you have zero game is not far off impossible! Then on top of that, again my mind was completely unconscious and numb, my temper was short to say the least and my scores reflected this. A first round of 3 under could have been all sorts, a couple of long putts dropped but on the flip side I missed a couple of short ones and hit it in the water with possibly the worst 6 iron of my life! To compete the mystery round, the resulting 100 yard shot from the drop zone went to about a foot, to cap off a bogey and sum up a roller coaster round. Because of the heavy rains, I didn't get to play any golf on the Thursday so it was 36 holes on Friday and the second 18 went very similarly to the first round apart from the score! My head is just not in grinding golf mode at the moment for whatever reason, so I have a week off now (due to no tournament on the schedule) to relax and sort it out, quickly!

I hope I come back out in Northern Ireland with a refreshed attitude and a brain that is switched on, as I need a big finish to the year now...nothing else will do.

Thanks for reading again,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment