Tuesday 25 June 2013

Last 3 weeks...

After a few hard months of travel and getting used to life on tour, at last I feel like I've started the year now. I've hardly been making the headlines but the last 2 weeks have meant I got some money on the board and put myself in a position now to kick on and have a strong second half to the year.

Having not made a cut since Kenya, it has been a bit of a struggle and a massive learning curve. The event in Czech Republic was a huge week for me, as I played some of the best golf I can play yet missed the cut due to some bad mental errors and a poor mindset. I really learned a lot from the week and I don't think it was a coincidence that I went on to make the cut the next week at the European Tour event in France. My mindset was much improved and I was much more relaxed and positive on each shot, proved by a birdie on my last hole to make it on the mark!

I then went on to Aviemore, Scotland for the Scottish Hydro Challenge...and managed to clock up my first top ten of the year. I was right in contention after 2 rounds and played some really controlled, solid golf for -10 and just 2 behind. On the Saturday I think my inexperience caught up with me and I had to settle for a 1 under par 70...on a day that I felt my par was around 68. But no disaster and a good last round would leave me with my best finish so far. As it happened the final day was halted several times due to some brutal weather but I ground it out really well to finish off with a level par 71 and that left me in 10th place. I needed a last hole birdie to creep into the top 10, a target set by my girlfriend Sophie before the round...my top psychologist! Anything to keep her happy!

As much as I wanted to do better over the weekend, I have got to take away a lot of confidence from the week and really push on now for the rest of the year.

I had quite a few tweets during last week so thank you to those who continue to support me, it makes a difference trust me.

For now it's onwards and upwards....starting in Germany next week

A quick and big thanks to my dad and brother who have caddied the last 2 weeks, they were a big help and I hope I wasn't too bad to caddy for.

Thanks again,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment